Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hi. I am sooo new here...

So... I initially wanted to compose a intro blog, but it didn't work out that way.  So, I guess I'll do it today.

Hi!!! Lol!

Really, I am doing this blog out of the sheer love, joy, and peace that I find in braiding and styling natural hair.  I had at one point decided that I would take a hiatus from braiding, but very soon found my way right back to where it all started. I finally decided that the gift I have is just that - a gift! So... I'm going to use my gift in the way the Almighty would have me too. 

 I have been braiding since age 5.  I guess I just taught myself out of boredom and watching in the mirror while my moms BFF braided me up. My moms skills with braiding were non existent, so I know I didn't inherit them from her.  As time went on, I started to braid all the kids hair on around my block (for free). My skills grew and grew and mom started to notice.  So... She would let me style her hair too. I would curl it, relax it, braid it up with extensions, whatever you can think of I pretty much did on her. By age 10 or 11, I was doing this. So, I continued to braid and style thru my teenage years while styling my teenage friends, their family, my family, all along the way being pushed to break out into a hair star. But, I never really broke out into a hair star because the world is full of opportunity and I wanted to explore other things. So, I did.

I have found that braiding kids hair can open doors to motivating the youth! letting the youth know that they too can be inspirational to other youth (hence my screen name- beinspirationkids). It's a cycle, and everything starts with the youth. If we educate them and their circle of friends to be stand up individuals, they will educate their children and circle if friends to be stand up individuals and the cycle continues. Changing this positive reaction into a positive movement!!!

So, I stand here today with 28 years of braiding experience, braiding classes, supportive family, a calling on my life, a gift, a dream, and a will to see it all through. This is a way to ultimately inform our youth of there power and influence over other youth. To "beinspirationkids".

Love, joy, and peace. Xoxoxo
JB.


No comments:

Post a Comment